Friday, March 6, 2020

Learning the parameters to a mixture of normal distributions

Title: Learning the parameters to a mixture of normal distributions
Created: June 3, 2019
By: John Urban
For: Anyone interested.
Originally shared as google document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GPSaVFR0HRmKOdDUNTRfngpWFS0jRo6018rh1Kjgzvc/edit?usp=sharing


Summary: Learning the parameters to a mixture of normal distributions.
Oftentimes you will see two or more modes in your data.
This means your data is a mixture of normal distributions (assuming both are normal).
That means if you compute parameters such as the mean on the data, you are getting it wrong for both/all distributions present.
You need to estimate the parameters for each distribution
Below shows
the R library and function to use to do this
4 use cases
How to randomly generate data with the learned parameters to see if it recapitulates the shape of your dataset well



###### COPY/PASTE THE FOLLOWING INTO AN RSCRIPT IN RSTUDIO
###### TO PLAY AROUND WITH

library(mixtools)
?normalmixEM

## Test 1
n <- 3000
m1 <- round(n*0.333)
m2 <- n-m1
mu1 <- 5
sd1 <- 1
mu2 <- 10
sd2 <- 2

## Test 1
n <- 10000
m1 <- round(n*0.5)
m2 <- n-m1
mu1 <- -0.8
sd1 <- 0.2
mu2 <- -0.55
sd2 <- 0.15

## Test 3
n <- 200
m1 <- round(n*0.05)
m2 <- n-m1
mu1 <- -0.99
sd1 <- 0.2
mu2 <- -0.15
sd2 <- 0.15

## Test 3
n <- 100
m1 <- round(n*0.01)
m2 <- n-m1
mu1 <- 1.0
sd1 <- 0.2
mu2 <- 1.1
sd2 <- 0.2

a <- c(rnorm(n=m1, mean=mu1, sd=sd1), rnorm(n=m2, mean=mu2, sd=sd2))
d <- density(a)
plot(d)

## for extremely biased proportions and/or small diffs in mean -- need very many iters (and maybe smaller epsilon if it will ever "converge")
## but be careful -- the given answer may be incorrect
## if you already know the mean sig of 1 dist though -- you can do pretty well

## 1. estimate both mu and sig (and proportions)
out <- normalmixEM(a, k=2, epsilon = 1e-200, maxit = 1000)
summary(out)
plot(d)
me1 <- round(n*out$lambda[1])
me2 <- n-me1
b <- c(rnorm(n=me1, mean=out$mu[1], sd=out$sigma[1]), rnorm(n=me2, mean=out$mu[2], sd=out$sigma[2]))
lines(density(b), col='red')

## 2. constrain 1 set of mu/sig that you already know, solve for unknown mu sig (and proportions)
out <- normalmixEM(a, k=2, epsilon = 1e-200, mean.constr = c(mu1,NA), sd.constr = c(sd1,NA))
summary(out)
plot(d)
me1 <- round(n*out$lambda[1])
me2 <- n-me1
b <- c(rnorm(n=me1, mean=out$mu[1], sd=out$sigma[1]), rnorm(n=me2, mean=out$mu[2], sd=out$sigma[2]))
lines(density(b), col='red')
## KNOWING even just 1 set gives a LOT of power


## 3. constrain both sets of mu/sig, solve for unknown proportions only
out <- normalmixEM(a, k=2, epsilon = 1e-200, mean.constr = c(mu1,mu2), sd.constr = c(sd1,sd2))
summary(out)
plot(d)
me1 <- round(n*out$lambda[1])
me2 <- n-me1
b <- c(rnorm(n=me1, mean=out$mu[1], sd=out$sigma[1]), rnorm(n=me2, mean=out$mu[2], sd=out$sigma[2]))
lines(density(b), col='red')



## 4. Given all parameters, compute likelihood.... need explicitly give mus, sigmas, and lambdas and set maxit to 0
## ...not just mean.constr -- but give mus as same vector as mean.constr
## mus are changing...
out <- normalmixEM(a, lambda=c(m1/n, m2/n), mu=c(mu1,mu2), sigma=c(sd1,sd2), k=2, epsilon = 1e-200, mean.constr = c(mu1,mu2), sd.constr = c(sd1,sd2), verb=TRUE, maxit = -1)
summary(out)
plot(d)
me1 <- round(n*out$lambda[1])
me2 <- n-me1
b <- c(rnorm(n=me1, mean=out$mu[1], sd=out$sigma[1]), rnorm(n=me2, mean=out$mu[2], sd=out$sigma[2]))
lines(density(b), col='red')

No comments:

Post a Comment